Saturday, June 16, 2007

Major update, BG numbers

Sorry for my week-long hiatus. I am having serious internet connection difficulties :(

This past week was marked by craziness both in numbers and timing. I worked a double shift and then 3 evening shifts, then a day shift, so feeding times and shot times were all messed up. I haven't bothered doing a curve yet because I don't think there is any info to be gained from it since I basically haven't much idea about what's going on in terms of duration and overlap.

As a reminder, the insulin used is Lantus unless otherwise specified. Since that one instance mentioned in my last post of not being able to get the BG, numbers and amounts have been:

Saturday 6/9 PM BG=236, gave 3u
Sunday 6/10 AM BG=234, gave 3u

Then there was a little road bump

Sunday 6/10 PM BG=81. ????
This was +12hrs from the last shot. I waited as long as I could before work and retested: BG was 93. I didn't want him to go without insulin for another 12 hrs while I was at work but I was not comfortable shooting him at that low number. So I hauled his heavy furred self into work with me. His vet was working that day and took the opportunity to check him out and re-do bloodwork. Drumroll please .... EVERYTHING WAS NORMAL. Normal liver values, kidney values, CBC, everything looked terrific. No ketones or glucose in his urine.

Because his urine didn't have any glucose and I'd gotten that low number, his vet recommended that I decrease the lantus. He assured me that trace glucose in the urine was not going to harm the kidneys, at least not quickly enough to be recognized in a feline lifespan. So I decided to pull back. BG that night at work at +16hrs since last shot was 236 and I gave him 2.5u.

I was in a bit of a pickle later because I needed to stay on a 1-2am, 1-2pm schedule and had given him the last shot at +16 which was 6PM. I decided to hold off and wait till 12pm the next day to shoot. This is the beginning of the timing weirdness so I'll start putting in the numbers as +---hrs since the last shot. That means that every time insulin is given, the counting starts at zero. The irregularity of the timing is due to my work.

6/11 +18=436. Gave 1/2 unit R (again, I don't recommend doing this) and 3u lantus. I'm scared of ketones.
6/11 +3=264. This was a spotcheck since I'd given R.
6/12 +12=494, ugh. Another 1/2u R and 3u Lantus. NB: don't wait till +18 to shoot.
6/12 +12=328, 3u
6/12 +11 (I wanted to go to bed early)=83. WTF? Aargh. Set alarm for two hours later.
6/13 +13=236, 2.5u
6/13 +8=318, 2u. I had to leave for work and couldn't wait till +12.
6/13 +15=310, 1.5u because of next day's shooting schedule
6/14 +8=348, 1.5u

Now I admittedly was totally goofy with my timing, but wanted to be sure that all the jumping was due to my being a bad cat-mom and not because my meter was wonky. I'd had it since my last diabetic kitty, it's an Ascencia Elite XL. I also have a Contour meter so hereafter I'm using both to try to get a read on what's going on. So there are now two BG readings, the first is Elite, the second is the Contour.
6/14 +12=341/401, 2.5u
6/15 +12=342/395, 2.5u
6/15 +16=317/338, 2.5u

The Contour needs much less blood than the Elite, so Saturday afternoon I was only able to get a speck out of him and used the Contour only. 6/16 +13=296 on Contour. Gave 2.5u.

I'm trying to stick to the 2.5u because of his vet's recommendation. I did manage to sneak in two urine readings and they were both positive for glucose (low) and neg for ketones (yay).

No comments: