Wednesday, June 6, 2007

AM BG=210, 2u Lantus

Not bad! And we are making some progess on integrating him into the household. Yesterday I had the door to the bathroom open for a while. Wilson was curled up in his new favorite spot--the sink--and roommate's cat came in to sniff around. He hissed a bit but roommate's cat ended up lying down on the tile and they both relaxed in there for a while. This morning we had a bit of a row, though, when roommate's cat came into the bathroom while Wilson was on the floor too. He hissed and gave a swat but it was a little half-arsed.

I did some reading up on Lantus on VIN (Vet-only info site) and the recent recommendations posted there is to NOT alter doses in the first week; the authors warn that you sometimes get some higher-number days at first but this "breaks" and you may get notably lower BGs after that first settling time. This Friday I'll run a curve on him and may go from there; I would like to get his pre-shot BGs to below 200. Since i haven't been able to do spot-checks, even, I'm loathe to mess with anything right now; I don't know how low he is going, but I can't back off because of his recent ketosis. I haven't been able to get a urine strip reading since I haven't been home and haven't been able to catch him urinating. Tomorrow I'll put Nosorb in, I guess, since I need to get some urine info.

I've started to clicker train him in order to get him more comfortable with the testing and shot process. So far the only thing that he is crazy for is dry food ... or Feline Greenies, I guess, but those are even bigger. I have to figure out a lower-carb treat to work with.

1 comment:

Venita said...

What about bonito flakes?